- Know what you’re dealing with – monitor, monitor, monitor
- Soil moisture data can help predict when slugs will become active
- Biological controls can be useful
- Bait at sowing and approximately four weeks later if required
- Vigour and speed of establishment in canola is important
- Key factors of bait efficacy are chance of encounter and consumption of active
Slugs are one of the main establishment pests in the Riverine Plains, along with earwigs, slaters, millipedes, wireworms, and mice. The first step to controlling any of these pests, particularly slugs, is knowing what you are dealing with.